Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Moose Choppin and Backpack Blessing

Hello all,

I think that this is probably a quicker response to the blog maybe even just did my last one in two weeks?  Anyways things are flying by here in alaska, it amazes me to realize that I am almost a quarter of the way through my internship already, which seems unreal.  The last couple weeks, just like every other week here seems to fly right by.

Biggest news here in Alaska is that it is Moose hunting season here, so most people are out doing that.  I however am not an Alaskan resident so attempting to go hunting would cost me quite a bit of money, apart from the fact that I have never shot a gun in my life, I think that probably has a bigger influence on the fact that I am not moose hunting right now.  I have however chopped up some moose here already.

Our church has a food pantry, and we are considered a not for profit organization so we get thrown into a pot of not for profit food pantry's and other organizations in the Anchorage area for highway moose  kills.  A couple of weeks ago we received a call early in the morning that someone had hit a moose on the highway so there was one that was dropped off at our Church back door and we had a moose chopping party (there are picture below, or on my facebook page).  The moose that we got appeared to be massive to myself, but apparently it was a "small kill".  Regardless by the time we cut all the fat, or most of the fat, and ground up all the moose we filled almost 3/4 of a deep freezer full of moose which should keep our food pantry stocked for a bit at least.

We have been gearing up for the year ahead in the last couple of weeks as well.  Its amazing how far ahead I have to plan to make sure that everything stays on task, and that we know what is going on in the future.  I am already looking forward to planning through February if you dont include the national youth gathering, if you count that then I am already planning up to the last week of my internship.  We have rally day coming up on September 9th which is just our big fall kick off sunday informing everyone at church all the different things that they could be involved in at church.

School has started here in Anchorage and we did a "blessing of the backpacks" event at our church.  We had a short prayer in the service and then we had a little cross keychain that the kids could put on their backpacks for school.  The majority of kids brought their backpacks into church that day to kind of add to the Sunday as well.  We ended up handing out around twenty crosses to kids anywhere from preschool to Freshman in college.

I am slowly but surely starting to make friends here, it is a slow and daunting task.   One of my fellow classmates who is also on internship has a friend who teaches in Anchorage who I have met up with a couple of times.  She has been here for a year so she knows the area pretty well.  Due to the fact that she is a female everyone in the church who heard about her thinks I'm dating her, which is fine Im just happy to have someone to hang out with who is actually my age.  I have met a couple other guys who work at a golf course and are right at my age as well their pretty cool, havnt done a whole lot with them yet, but were trying to figure out a time to meet up, should be cool to get in with them now that football season is starting up.  I could use some guys to sit down and watch a few games with.  I also have really connected with one family here who has three kids as well.  Obviously as I said in the last post its hard to meet up with them since they are often busy!

One of the coolest things I have done so far was go kayaking with one of our members.  It was somewhat hard to get used to but overall super cool.  I am thinking that it may be anew hobby for me, and it kinda made me want to go out and get a kayak right after

Apart from all that things in Alaska continue to move on, right now the Alaska state fair is going on, which pales in comparison to the size of the Wisconsin state fair.  The animal barn at the Alaska State Fair had about two hundred animals, the size of maybe half of the Wisconsin cow barn.  Still the food was good, and there are actually a fair amount of bigger bands that actually will come out to Alaska.

That pretty much wraps it all up for as much as I can think of!

Hope all is well back in Illinois and Wisconsin

Alaska Snow Princess Update: None


Combination of rain and a sunset 


Hiking a trail in back of my house with the dogs


Kayaking Eklutna Lake




No comments:

Post a Comment